Welcome to the Doherty Memorial High Library
Ms. Nelson ~ Library Director
6:45 A.M. - 2:30 P.M.
The DMHS Library is open before and after school. The sign-in book is always located on the circulation desk.
Mr. Mawson's Classes
1950s WEB QUEST ACTIVITY
Directions: Use the following links, answer the following questions on a separate sheet of paper and attach to this handout.
1. What was the GI Bill of Rights? How might this affect the future of the U.S.? http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/536006/GI-Bill-of-Rights
2.What was Levittown? What are the pros and cons of this type of construction?
3. What was meant by the slogan, “I Like Ike”? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmCDaXeDRI4
4. Based on the clip you saw in question #3 why would this advertisement have been successful?
5. What was the baby boom? http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/06/us/baby-boomer-generation-fast-facts/
6. Using the website for #5 Make a simple line graph depicting the number of babies born from 1946-1964
7. Who was Dr. Jonas Salk and what was significance in the realm of the science? http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/salk-announces-polio-vaccine
8. Which president is credited with the Interstate Highway System? http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/interstate/history.htm
9. Using the same site you used for #8, why was this highway system so beneficial to the United States?
10. Describe the impact of the car of people of the 1950s.
11. View the images taken of kitchens from the 1950s, how do these kitchens compare with the kitchens of today?http://www.housebeautiful.com/kitchens/kitchens-1950s-0609#slide-6
12. Describe the music of the 1950s.
13. Using the same site you used for #12 what are four popular music genres of the 1950’s? Identify two artists who made significant contributions to each genre.
14. What was the “beat movement”? http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/57467/Beat-movement
15. How are Comics and the Cold War interrelated?
16.Why was the phrase “under God” added to the US pledge of allegiance?
17. Go to: http://www.imdb.com/list/v94Q-JqrWsI/
From the list of science fiction movies from the 1950s, pick any three and summarize their plots.
1) What influenced the music of Elvis Presley?
2) What traits did Elvis have that endeared him to people around the world?
1) What did Elvis do on stage during his performances that was a cause for concern for many people?
2) Why was Elvis allowed on the Ed Sullivan Show?
3) How many people watched Elvis on the Ed Sullivan show?
Pick any three toys from the 1950s and explain their origins. Two sentences each:
Students may get a pass for the library if they have a study hall period. The pass MUST be picked up between 6:50 A.M. 7:20 A.M. If a pass is lost, another one will not be reissued. Students may access the library during their lunch periods without a pass.
~ Resources in the DMHS Library ~
The library has twenty-eight computer stations for students to use that are wired for Internet access. Students are not allowed to play games or write email on the computers.
Books can be checked out of the library for a 3-week period. Overdue notices will be sent out monthly if books are not returned. If a book is lost or damaged, it will be the student's responsibility to pay for the replacement cost of the book.
Photocopier and Printer
There are a photocopier and printer in the library for students to use.
ONLINE BOOK CATALOG
Pathfinders are pages that offer students selected resources in a variety of media on a topic they are researching. They provide a head start for students as they begin their research project.
- American Revolution Resources
- The 1920s in the US
- Presidents of the United States
- World War II Resources
- The Great Depression
- Career Resources
- College Resources
Important Web Links
- VHS Courses -A variety of online classes are available for students if they wish to take a high school class via the computer.
- Boston Public Library eCards - Online resources can be accessed as long as you have a valid Massachusetts address.
- Discovery Education
Mark Twain ~ Samuel Clemens
- PBS - The West
- Mark Twain and His Times
- Smithsonian - Mark Twain Article with links
- Mark Twain and the Bible
Ms. Thompson (Quebec Brochure Project)
- Activities for ESL Students
- Cool Sites for ESL students
- Interesting Things for ESL Students
- U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services
- Worcester Citizenship Services and ESL classes
Free Internet Resources
- Animoto - Creating presentations has never been fun, but Animoto can help to put that behind you.
- Audacity - Record and edit podcasts.
- Creative Commons - Find licensed works that you can share, collaborate, remix and reuse. Also, license your own work easily.
- Delicious - A fast and easy-to-use social bookmarking site.
- Diigo - Research and collaborate. Highlights important information.
- Facebook - A popular social networking site that makes it easy to find and keep in touch with family, friends, and colleagues.
- Gale Database Tutorials - Short video clips which show the best methods to access and use Gale databases
- Google Docs - Create, collaborate and share documents while allowing people to comment.
- iGoogle - Create your own page with RSS feeds and apps to fit your needs.
- ImageChef - Use photos along with text to create meaningful images.
- iTunes - Allows the listening and viewing of podcasts.
- Jing - Records video of onscreen action and allows to share the works conveniently.
- Podomatic - Use to easily share podcasts.
- Screencast - Allows you to upload your screencasts and share them easily.
- Skype - Have conversations with just about everyone with audio, video, and text chatting.
- Tinychat - Create your own chat room, invite others (by using Twitter or other social networking sites) and save the chat logs
- Tumblr - A microblog that allows text, photos, music and videos to be shared.
- Twitter - The fastest-growing social networking site on the web. Have fun writing messages about what you're doing up to 140 characters!
- VoiceThread - Create a multimedia, collaborative slideshow. Allows comments to be made by others by using, audio, video and text.
- Wordle - Create cool word graffitti by just typing words.
- WordPress - Use to create your own blog.
- YouTube - Find many educational videos and comments may be posted.
Any questions or concerns: firstname.lastname@example.org